Re: Statement-level triggers and inheritance

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: Statement-level triggers and inheritance
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Friday 28 November 2008 16:59:19 Tom Lane wrote:
> "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com> writes:
> > Looks like inheritance causes a statement-level trigger to fire on
> > the last evaluated table in the inheritance chain. Is this the
> > desired behavior?
>
> Hm, I think whoever wrote the statement-level trigger code completely
> forgot to consider the possibility of multiple target relations.  It's
> not even consistent between BEFORE and AFTER triggers for this case.
>
> My feeling is that it ought to fire such triggers on *each* target.

This would amount to statement level triggers firing multiple times per
statement wouldn't it?  That behavior might be rather surprising for folks. I
guess the alternative is to have it fire only on the parent in an inheritance
stack. I'm not sure that's much more defensible, but maybe it's more
practical?

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net