Re: literal limits in 8.3

От Sam Mason
Тема Re: literal limits in 8.3
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 10:45:42AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Sam Mason <sam@samason.me.uk> writes:
> > It's a normal 32bit Intel Debian system, nothing much special done
> > to increase the kernel/user split or anything like that as far as I
> > remember on this box.  If I try with larger sizes it falls over with
> > "out of memory", but up until around 755MB (760MB fails) it gives back
> > "INSERT 0 1" which I've always read as inserting a row.  A select on the
> > table gives this inserted row containing a zero length string.
>
> Well, I can't reproduce that here.  Something strange about your
> configuration maybe?

Not that I know of.  I've just created a test cluster to make sure and I
get the same behaviour.  Minimal set of commands are:

  LANG=C /usr/lib/postgresql/8.3/bin/initdb pg83
  vi pg83/postgresql.conf

changed port to 5444 to prevent conflicts, everything else default.

  /usr/lib/postgresql/8.3/bin/postgres -D pg83 -k /tmp

in a seperate shell:

  echo "create database smason;" | psql -p 5444 -h /tmp template1
  echo "create table test ( col text );" | psql -p 5444 -h /tmp

  ./test 64 | psql -p 5444 -h /tmp
results in:
  INSERT 0 1
  Time: 3354.269 ms

  ./test 512 | psql -p 5444 -h /tmp
results in:
  INSERT 0 1
  Time: 50.452 ms

  echo "select length(col) from test;" | psql -p 5444 -h /tmp
results in:
    length
  ----------
   67108864
          0

Anything else to try?  All PG packages are from debian backports with
version "8.3.4-2~bpo40+1", anybody else getting this?

Hum, maybe I should try building from source and see if it's something
to do with the Debian packages. [/me twiddles thumbs while code builds]
... done ... I get the same result for both 8.3.4 and 8.3.5.  I'm kind
of stuck for ideas now!

  Sam

Сообщение: Re: filter statements in logs
Сообщение: Re: filter statements in logs