Re: Re: [BUGS] libpq does not manage SSL callbacks properly when other libraries are involved.

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Re: [BUGS] libpq does not manage SSL callbacks properly when other libraries are involved.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Russell Smith wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:

> If we start deciding we are not backpatching fixes that we know cause
> crashes, where is the limit?

Stability.  That is our limit (goal).
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of littleminds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.Ralph
WaldoEmerson

> >> It isn't?  It does seem like a bug, which we do typically backpatch ...
> >>

> > Well, it's a risk-reward tradeoff.  In this case it seems like there's
> > a nontrivial risk of creating new bugs against fixing a problem that
> > evidently affects very few people.  I concur with Bruce's feeling that
> > we shouldn't backpatch ... at least not now.  Once the patch has been
> > through beta testing we could reconsider.
> >
> >             regards, tom lane
> >
> I would like to see this backpatched.  Even though the PostgreSQL
> community hasn't seen a lot of complaints, there have been a number of
> reports where the bug has caused crashes.  Ubuntu launchpad has 6
> duplicates for this bug.  php has a bug report for it.  So it's not like

Wow, that is interesting.

> people don't know about it.  They just didn't know how to fix it.  All
> that said, I agree it's safer to wait until the 8.4 beta cycle has given
> this code change a good run before proceeding.  In the mean time
> distributions can either backpatch it themselves or wait for PostgreSQL
> community to apply the patch.
>
> For the environment where I have this problem, I think it's still going
> to be a up hill battle to get RedHat to incorporate the fix into RHEL5.
> That's whichever route the community takes with backpatching.

Yea, it is a shame we didn't find/fix this earlier.  It is reproducable
so I am surprised we did not hear about it sooner.

http://enterprisedb.com