Database access over the Internet...

От Michelle Konzack
Тема Database access over the Internet...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
*       Do not Cc: me, because I READ THIS LIST, if I write here       *
*    Keine Cc: am mich, ich LESE DIESE LISTE wenn ich hier schreibe    *

...because using 2-3 differnet databases sucks!

Hello *,

After IRC'ing with some peoples and discusing about  PostgreSQL,  MySQL,
SQlite, Oracle Informix and others I like to know, if you use a database
access over the Internet what your experience is with...

My problem is, that I am using PostgreSQL since version 6.4 (March 1999)
and most Hosting-Provides offer only MySQL which let me run into trouble
with my nicely designed database.

So my idea is now, to install a small 19"/1U (maybe 2U) RackServer which
hold (at least for the data) four SAS drives of 76/147 GByte  in  Raid-1
with 2 Hotfix (and maybe 3-4 smaller 36 GByte drives for the OS+Logs.

It seems, I can have 1U racks with 4 drives and hardware Raid-1 for less
then 1400 Euro and the 2U ones for arround 1800 Euro.

Of course, without the SAS drives...

Now the problem is availability...  Installing 3-4 Racks  all  over  the
world and clustering it?  The database would have only the  data  of  my
OnlineStore (with  data  of  currently  arround  140.000  customers  and
increasing) and my website.  So, for  this  Base-Database  I  need  only
arround 1-2 GByte for now but if my website is entirely online, the data
volume increase rapidely.

How do you manage such case?

Are there Hosting-Provider where I can  cluster  my  Database  with  the
Database on another ISP?  E.g. One in the USA, one in Germany and one in
Swiss?

How do you manage Backups for the Database?

Note 1: I live in a MobilHome (generaly two and a MobilOffice) and  have
        no ADSL availlable here.  Only GSM/UMTS/HSDPA (up to  3.6 MBit).
        Maybe I will install Astra2connect which give me a bidirectional
        satelit connection but this is currently future for me  even  if
        it cost only 20 Euro per month prepayed for 2 years.

Note 2: I am working 95% mobil, which is WHY I use GSM/UMTS/HSDPA. (cost
        only 25 Euro/month with unlimited traffic at "O2" in Germany)

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Вложения