Re: So what's an "empty" array anyway?

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: So what's an "empty" array anyway?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> An empty, single-dimension array. But I got the impression from Simon
> that he thought it should be NULL.

I disagree with Simon *if* that's what he's saying.  '{}' isn't equivalent
to NULL any more than 0 or '' is.  NULL means "I don't know / Doesn't
apply" wheras '{}' means "purposefully left blank".  It's a defect of the
Timestamp type (and a few others) that it doesn't have a standard "zero"
value -- the typical tri-value NULL problem.

I do agree that we ought to support multi-dimensional empty arrays for
consistency.  However: is '{}' = '{}{}' or not?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL
San Francisco

Сообщение: Re: So what's an "empty" array anyway?
Сообщение: Re: So what's an "empty" array anyway?