Re: Cross-column statistics revisited

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Cross-column statistics revisited
Дата
Re: Cross-column statistics revisited  (Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Yes, or to phrase that another way: What kinds of queries are being
> poorly optimized now and why?

Well, we have two different correlation problems.  One is the problem of
dependant correlation, such as the 1.0 correlation of ZIP and CITY fields
as a common problem.  This could in fact be fixed, I believe, via a linear
math calculation based on the sampled level of correlation, assuming we
have enough samples.  And it's really only an issue if the correlation is
> 0.5.

The second type of correlation issue we have is correlating values in a
parent table with *rows* in child table (i.e. FK joins).  Currently, the
planner assumes that all rows in the child table are evenly distributed
against keys in the parent table.  But many real-world databases have this
kind of problem:

A    B
1    10000 rows
2    10000 rows
3    1000 rows
4 .. 1000    0 to 1 rows

For queries which cover values between 4..1000 on A, the misestimate won't
be much of a real execution problem.  But for values 1,2,3, the query will
bomb.

> The other half of this is that bad selectivity estimates only matter
> if they're bad enough to change the plan, and I'm not sure whether
> cases like this are actually a problem in practice.

My experience is that any estimate which is more than 5x wrong (i.e. < .2
or > 5.0) usually causes problems, and 3x sometimes causes problems.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL
San Francisco

Сообщение: Re: Cross-column statistics revisited
Сообщение: Re: Cross-column statistics revisited