Re: WITH RECURSIVE ... CYCLE in vanilla SQL: issues with arrays of rows

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: WITH RECURSIVE ... CYCLE in vanilla SQL: issues with arrays of rows
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane escribió:
> "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 9:56 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> I'm inclined to apply the patch with binary-coercibility adjustments
> >> and not try to turn RECORD or RECORD[] into full-fledged polymorphic
> >> types.  It's not immediately clear what the use of that would be
> >> anyway.
>
> > ...meaning, that you would not be able to create a function taking
> > generic 'record' as a parameter?
>
> Well, you've never been able to do that, although for many of the PLs
> there doesn't seem to be any very fundamental reason why not.

Yeah, it seems an arbitrary restriction for no very good reason.  When I
was working on PL/php (years ago) I tried to make it work because I
found it useful for some use case I was trying, but couldn't.  I don't
remember the details (and PL/php has been pretty much abandoned since
then anyway.)

Сообщение: Re: Window Functions patch v06
Сообщение: Re: Window Functions patch v06