Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches - Patent problems?

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches - Patent problems?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

It might be relevant for the whole discussion about inclusion of some form of
row level permissions, whatever based on, that there exist heaps of (in my
eyes conflicting) patents about row level permissions for relational
databases. I don't have any real clue about patent issues, but I fear that
makes inclusion into an open source product rather hard...

A list of only some of the patents I know of:

Data security system and method - 5751949 - MCI Corp. - 1998
Rule based database security system and method - 6820082 - Allegis Corporation
- 2004
Row-level security in a relational database management system - 7240046 - IBM
- 2007
Database fine-grained access control - 7281003 - Oracle - 2007

Andres