Re: autovacuum and reloptions

От ITAGAKI Takahiro
Тема Re: autovacuum and reloptions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> So I gave up waiting for someone else to do the reloptions patch for
> autovacuum and started work on it myself.

Is it needed to keep backward compatibility?

I'd like to suggest to keep pg_catalog.pg_autovacuum as a system view
even after the options is put into reloptons, and the view to be
updatable using RULEs if possible.

Current pg_autovacuum-table approach has a benefit that
we can configure options by rule, for example:
 INSERT INTO pg_autovacuu SELECT ... FROM pg_class WHERE ...;

But we will not able to do that if the settings will be in reloptions
because ALTER TABLE SET cannot be used with JOINs.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center