Re: optimizing a query over tree-like structure

От az@svilendobrev.com
Тема Re: optimizing a query over tree-like structure
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
another idea i just got, to decrease the number of tables in one FROM,
is to represent the first-level ORs with unions. but i'm not sure how
exactly to do it: are these equivalent?

FROM N,ownership,mm_N2R
where ( N.dbid = ownership.NORN.dbid = mm_N2R.left AND mm_N2R.right = ownership.ROR
) AND N.obj = whatever-filter-by-N

--------

FROM (
(ownership join N on ownership.N = N.dbid)union
(ownership join mm_N2R on ownership.R = mm_N2R.right join N on
mm_N2R.left = N.dbid )OR
) ...

and should i bundle the filtering-by-N/Employment in every of above
union-members?