Re: PostgreSQL Cache

От Sam Mason
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Cache
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 02:55:52AM -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Matthew Pulis wrote:
> >I need to perform some timed testing, thus need to make sure that
> >disk cache does not affect me. Is clearing the OS (Ubuntu) disk
> >cache, (by running: sudo echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches)
> >enough to do this?
>
> 3) sudo echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

I'm not sure about the rest, but shouldn't this be:

  echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

the OP's "sudo echo 3" seems redundant; "echo" doesn't need to be run
with higher privileges, only the writing process needs that.  As an
aside, it would be nicer if there was a more appropriately program than
tee but I've yet to find one.

  Sam