Re: Download links

От Joshua Drake
Тема Re: Download links
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 22:06:18 -0400
Chander Ganesan <chander@otg-nc.com> wrote:

> > I think there is some confusion here. EDB does not require
> > collection of any data to download the software.

> Correct.  As I said in my previous email, the information isn't
> required.  However, IMHO, the presentation of a form at all to
> collect such information results in a significant market advantage
> over other vendors that also support PostgreSQL ...its great when the
> develop their leads at all, but when those leads come directly from
> the community site, its a whole different story....  All things being
> equal, it provides EDB with a huge competitive advantage - that many
> other contributors cannot avail themselves to (for a variety of

I am not 100% sure I agree with this, however in the interest of
compromise if I go to http://www.postgresql.org/download I am presented
with a list of operating systems:
   * FreeBSD   * Linux   * Mac OS X   * Solaris   * Windows

What if that instead became:
   * FreeBSD   * Linux      * CentOS/RHEL/Fedora ,      * Debian      * Ubuntu     * SuSE     * One-Click   * Mac OS X
   * Fink     * Mac Ports   * Solaris   * Win32

3rd Party

This would eliminate the perceived favoritism. I think. Thoughts?

> reasons).  The question being, should any vendor who chooses to
> package their own installer be given a position that is preferential
> over other vendors that contribute in a different (but perhaps just
> as beneficial to the community) way?

Well in my opinion any and all custom installers should be a distant
5th place over any native distribution packaging.

> I'm not sure I would classify this as an EDB related issue
> specifically, it's a question that is speaks toward a general policy
> with regard to how such things are handled....

Well (and I have been having this discussion with others offline) I
think .Org is pandering to the commercial interests a little bit
too much. I would like to see us move a little bit more to the left in
terms of our "community".

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления: