Re: New to postgres -' how to' tips needed

От Alan Hodgson
Тема Re: New to postgres -' how to' tips needed
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thursday 21 August 2008, "Markova, Nina" <nmarkova@nrcan.gc.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm completely new to postgres. My main job will be to install and
> configure it properly and I'm not sure how much I can rely on the default
> values.
>
> Are there any good articles howto  install and configure postgres? I have
> found the online documentation but need something simple.

"install and configure it properly" and "simple" are mutually exclusive
requirements.

However, for the most part, if you configure it to match your real memory
availability (especially shared_buffers and work_mem) you'll usually get
decent performance (assuming whoever bought the server specced it
appropriately for the intended workload). The default settings are far too
conservative.

--
Alan