Re: Best practice for long-lived journal tables: bigint or recycling IDs?

От Mark Stosberg
Тема Re: Best practice for long-lived journal tables: bigint or recycling IDs?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 17:20:13 -0400
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Mark Stosberg wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have some tables that continually collect statistics, and then over time are
> > pruned as the stats are aggregated into more useful formats.
> >
> > For some of these tables, it it is fore-seeable that the associated sequences
> > would be incremented past the max value of the "int" type in the normal course
> > of things.
> >
> > I see two options to prepare for that:
>
> 3. Deal with wraparound by ensuring that the applications behave sanely

Wrap-around?

Exceeding the max size of "int" looks more like a brick wall than wrap-around to me:
insert into t values (2147483648);ERROR:  integer out of range
   Mark

-- . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   Mark Stosberg            Principal Developer
mark@summersault.com    Summersault, LLC       765-939-9301 ext 202     database driven websites. . . . .
http://www.summersault.com/. . . . . . . .

-- . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   Mark Stosberg            Principal Developer
mark@summersault.com    Summersault, LLC       765-939-9301 ext 202     database driven websites. . . . .
http://www.summersault.com/. . . . . . . .

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: