Re: Nextval & Currval

От A. Kretschmer
Тема Re: Nextval & Currval
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
am  Tue, dem 10.06.2008, um 11:56:39 +0200 mailte Shavonne Marietta Wijesinghe folgendes:
> Hello
>
> I'm using Nextval and Currval in my ASP programme. But everytime i run the code
> only the nextval record is inserted and the currval record is lost. I wrote the
> INSERT INTO in the log and when i tried it via pgadmin both the records were
> inserted correctly, so there is no syntax error.
> I thought the problem would be the connection to the DB. I connect to the DB in
> the same ASP page where I do the INSERT INTO.
>
> What am i doing wrong?? Any ideas anyone??

I don't know your code, but nextval() returns the next sequence number
from a sequence and currval() returns the last with nextval() generated
sequence-number WITHIN THIS SESSION.

In a new session you can't use currval() first, you need to call
nextval() and later you can use currval().

Regards, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer