Re: Overhauling GUCS

От Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Тема Re: Overhauling GUCS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 12:53:55 -0700 Ron Mayer wrote:

> Steve Atkins wrote:
> > ... cross-platform (Windows, Linux, Solaris, OS X as a bare
> > minimum)
>
> I wonder how cross-platform the tuning algorithm itself is.
>
> I could also imagine that decisions like "do I let the OS page
> cache, or postgres's buffer cache get most of the memory" are
> extremely OS dependent.

But you can hide most of the internal stuff from the user, either by
generating the config file for the platform the tool is running on or
by an option like "generate config for platform xyz".

If you have cross-platform already in place, this should not be much
overhead.

Kind regards

--             Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group