Re: PG -v- MySQL

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: PG -v- MySQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tuesday 13 May 2008 12:09:28 Kevin Hunter wrote:
> * The documentation on the website for Postgres is by far the better of
> the two DBs.  MySQL's is decent and very useful, but Postgres'
> documentation just plain rocks.  In fact, the Postgres documentation is
> one of the very best examples of documentation for any project with
> which I've had to deal, OpenSource or otherwise.  Head and shoulders.

I've always thought that the biggest problem with the MySQL documentation is
that it has a very hard time organizing all the little caveats that come into
play between the different storage engines. Sometime an item might be
documented in a storage specific area rather than a specific command (so it
gets overlooked), other times I find that the command pages themselves are
too cluttered with storage specific issues (making it hard to find
information specific to your environment).  It's an understandably difficult
issue to work around, since ever storage engine you use means that you're
basically learning the intricacies of a separate database, so it doesn't
surprise me that things end up a little schizophrenic at times.

--
Robert Treat