Re: Backup/Restore of single table in multi TB database

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Backup/Restore of single table in multi TB database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 7 May 2008 16:09:45 -0400
"David Wilson" <david.t.wilson@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm fairly certain that you have to be very careful about doing simple
> file copies while the system is running, as the files may end up out
> of sync based on when each individual one is copied. I haven't done it
> myself, but I do know that there are a lot of caveats that someone
> with more experience doing that type of backup can hopefully point you
> to.

Besides the fact that it seems to be a fairly hacky thing to do... it
is going to be fragile. Consider:

(serverA) create table foo();
(serverB) create table foo();

(serverA) Insert stuff;
(serverA) Alter table foo add column;

Oops...

(serverA) alter table foo drop column;

You now have different version of the files than on serverb regardless
of the table name.

Joshua D. Drake

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Backup/Restore of single table in multi TB database
Сообщение: Re: Backup/Restore of single table in multi TB database