Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Дата
Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian escribió:

> Obviously you have expections of how wrapping should behave.  Please
> name me an application that has a wrapped mode that has the output to a
> file wrap based on the screen width?  It isn't 'ls -C'.

Why would we need to imitate what other apps do?  What we need to
investigate is use cases, and how do we cater for each one, making it
easy for the most common while at the same time making it not impossible
for the most obscure.

There is no point in doing things in a certain way just because others
do the same.  Are you going to argue that we need to make the server
crash from time to time because other systems do that too?

We came up with dollar quoting which is a completely novel idea AFAIK.
Why can't we come up with other useful, novel designs?