Re: WIP: psql default banner patch

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: WIP: psql default banner patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:56:49 -0400
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> > I think the warning should be two lines:
> >
> > WARNING: Server is version %d.%d, %s is version %d.%d.
> > Some backslash commands may not work.
>
> I tried that, I thought it looked weird. The single line fits within
> the 80 character wrap point. Do we really want to create two lines?

Yes IMHO.  The problem is that on a translation the line may be longer.
(In fact, on most western languages other than english, it will be
longer.) Of course, the translator can fix it for himself, but in
practice what most translators do is follow whatever original newline
convention there is, so it's better that there is some slack space.

> > > +            printf(_("Type: help for help. \n"));
> > > +
> >
> > Here you have a pointless extraneous space.
>
> Not that I care but does it matter? I mean it is a space before a
> newline.

It's not very important, but again for translations it's better than the
whole thing is whitespace-clean.