BUG #4113: server closed the connection unexpectedly

Bug reference:      4113
Logged by:          Javier Hernandez
Email address:      dba@loopone.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.1
Operating system:   Linux version 2.6.9-11.ELsmp; Red Hat 3.4.3-22; gcc
version 3.4.3
Details:

The following script generates an unexpected loss of connection.

begin;

\echo "Creating a table to hold numeric values only"
create table numeric_col_table (
num_col numeric(6,0) primary key not null
);

\echo "Creating a table to hold integer values only"
create table int_col_table (
int_col integer primary key not null
);

\echo "Inserting data into our numeric-only table"
insert into numeric_col_table (num_col) values (1), (2), (3);

\echo "Inserting data into our integer-only table"
insert into int_col_table (int_col) values (1), (2), (3);

\echo "Show contents of the numeric table"
select * from numeric_col_table;

\echo "Show contents of the numeric table"
select * from int_col_table;

\echo "Select everything from the integer table where int_col =
numeric_col"
select * from int_col_table where int_col in (select num_col from
numeric_col_table);

\echo "Select everything from the numeric table where numeric_col =
int_col"
select * from numeric_col_table where num_col in (select int_col from
int_col_table);

rollback;