Re: Commit fest queue

От Aidan Van Dyk
Тема Re: Commit fest queue
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> [080410 10:24]:

> Someone, anyone should be able to look exactly one place for the
> information required to process a patch.

That one place is (and I think always should be, but I'm biased) going
to be the mailling list.

>                                           Of course we still have cvs
> etc.. but nobody on this list or new to the community should ever say
> to themselves, "Which page am I supposed to go to? What list am I
> supposed to reply to now that I have feedback? Oh, I am supposed to go
> over to this wiki? Then what?"

Well, ideally, they would just reply to the message that "introduced"
the patch.  Then it would go to both the list and the author, where
further discussion can happen.  Mailing lists are really good at
discussion, threads, etc.

> You should be able to say, "Hey here is the history of the patch for
> materialized views" and then 30 hours later say, "Phew.... large patch
> but here is my feedback"

Right, so you look at the message with the patch, save the patch (or
download it if it's just linked), work, review, etc, and then just reply
to the message.  Again, the maililng list is an excellent interface to
discuss things, manage threads of discussion, etc.

Basically, as Tom keeps saying the "wiki" is just an index into the
mailing list archives.  Any tracker may be able to do that, with more or
less complexity.

aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,