Re: modules

От Aidan Van Dyk
Тема Re: modules
Дата
Re: modules  (Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
* Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> [080403 09:54]:
> Right now contrib is a real catch-all of various things; it would be nice to
> categorize them somehow. And by categorize, I emphatically do NOT mean
> move to pgfoundry, which is pretty much a kiss of death.

But that begs the question of *why* it's a kiss of death?

For instance, in "perl land", having something in "CPAN" and not in
"perl core" is most certainly *not* a kiss of death?  Why is it so
different for PostgreSQL?

Is it because the infrastructure behind CPAN is much better than that
behind pgfoundry?

Or is it because CPAN is better "vetted" and "organized" than pgfoundry?

Or is it because the projects that go into CPAN are better quality and
projects in pgroundry?

Or is it something else?

I'm pretty sure the answers to the above questions aren't all yes...

a.

aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,