Re: Create on insert a unique random number

От D'Arcy J.M. Cain
Тема Re: Create on insert a unique random number
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:51:39 +0100
"A. Kretschmer" <andreas.kretschmer@schollglas.com> wrote:
> am  Tue, dem 18.03.2008, um  9:43:01 -0700 mailte chester c young folgendes:
> > > When inserting a record is there a way to have postgres create a
> > > random number for a field such that it is unique?
> >
> > you could use oid
>
> No! No oid, it's deprecated. The solution: use serial.

Not exactly random, is it?

See http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-novice/2002-05/msg00198.php
for a possible solution.  Read the followups as well.  There is an
issue with collisions which will only get worse with time.

I wonder though, what is the purpose of this?  I suspect that this is
either a homework problem or you may be attacking some real-world
problem from the wrong angle.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Create on insert a unique random number
Сообщение: Re: Create on insert a unique random number