Re: Commitfest status

От Aidan Van Dyk
Тема Re: Commitfest status
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> [080307 13:11]:

> > Ideas and discussion are important (actually vital).  But the
> > commit-fest is a period that reviewers and committers set apart time to
> > process the *products* of ideas and proposals that have come about so
> > far.
>
> Well, when do we make decisions on these non-patch issue?  Seems the
> commit fest is the right time to that too.

There are 2 big decisions in the process:

1) Is this "feature/topic" worth *me* working on?
2) Is the result of that work worth going into "official" PostgreSQL CVS?

#1 is made by the developer, hopefully based on some initial discussion
on the lists.  IF the discussion is overwhelmingly dismissive, or
negative, or points in the some other direction, hopefully that decision
will be an easy "no", so the developer doesn't waste his time.  But the
reviewers/committers *don't* decide if or what is worth a developer's
effort.  Even if it's *not* something that the community sees working
out for PostgreSQL, it very well *may* be something "worth it" for the
developer to pursue himself.  It's simply his decision.   And even if it
*is* something that may be very good and desirable for PostgreSQL, the
community can't make a developer work on it.  It's an open source
project.

#2 is made by the reviewers/committers when the person presents the
work he thought "worth it".  And they can only make that decision when
there is "something" to decide on.

aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,