Re: Commitfest status

От Aidan Van Dyk
Тема Re: Commitfest status
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> [080307 12:29]:
> Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
> -- Start of PGP signed section.
> > * Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [080307 11:46]:
> >
> > > Since there are 19 pages and probably less than 19 interested hackers,
> > > maybe we could just each take a page of the list as it stands and go
> > > through it at that level?  Although many of the threads cross pages, so
> > > that's not ideal.  Any other ideas?
> >

> > Only 150 "patches" in that queue, if you eliminate all the discussions
> > and threads:
> >     http://people.ifax.com/~aidan/pg/patches.mbox
>
> True, but we can't just discard all the ideas we had --- we need to
> decide if they are worth persuing or adding to TODO.

Sure, but ideas *are* discussed on the list as they come up.  But it's
not ideas that get committed during the commitfest.

It's up to the "itchy" person to use the discussion on the lists around
the ideas to come up with something concrete that *needs* to be more
than hand-waving to be reviewed during a commit fest.

That concrete something could be:
*) A complete "patch"
*) A partial patch (implementing step X of the discussed goals
*) A defined implementation proposal (a patch minus C-language code)

Ideas and discussion are important (actually vital).  But the
commit-fest is a period that reviewers and committers set apart time to
process the *products* of ideas and proposals that have come about so
far.

a.

aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,