Re: Commitfest status

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Commitfest status
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > > Right at the moment the raw data is still in Bruce's patch queue.
> > > It's becoming increasingly obvious that that isn't going to work;
> > > we can't have one man being a complete bottleneck for the entire
> > > process.  I concur with your other suggestion to try to move to
> > > a wiki-based patch list, though it's unclear to me just how we
> > > should manage that.  I think I'd prefer a small number of people
> > > (but more than just Bruce) responsible for updating the queue.
> >
> > Consider I am collecting all our open items from the past 10 months.
> > Even when I am done the patch queue is going to be a load of work ---
> > take a look at what is there now.
>
> We need storage of patches _outside_ our current patch queue.
>
> As a first problem with the statu quo, it's not possible for other
> people to add patches to the queue.  Bruce suggests having a special
> email address that will allow people to bounce patches to.  I see this
> as a kludge (a workable one perhaps, but still a kludge).  Also it's not
> clear how it deals with authorization, though this is probably not a
> problem these days.

Right.

> The second problem is that there's no way to actually extract the patch
> from the queue.  Cut'n pasting doesn't work, because whitespace is
> mangled.  So one has to resort (retort?) to extracting the patch from
> one own's mbox, which sort of works -- unless it doesn't.  And then you
> have to work out what's the email containing the latest patch is; if
> Bruce added a copy to the queue but the author updated it, how do you
> find that out?

Does the web site mhonarc archive have the same problem?  Do you have
URLs?  (You can download an mbox of my patches list from the top link.)

> As a stopgap measure, a Wiki page could work.  Patches should be
> attached to the page, or a link to external storage should be posted
> (but not to archives, obviously).

The bottom line is that this going to be painful no matter how we go at
it:
http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgpatches

There are nine pages now.  The patch queue will be twice that size once
I am done.  I am trying to trim but it is difficult.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com