Replacing the corrupt "global" folder with older one

От chris.jurado
Тема Replacing the corrupt "global" folder with older one
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Sorry for sending this directly to the hackers mailing list. But, i think it did not belong in any other as it involves
internalsabout the files in the data directory.

PostgreSQL version: 8.1.2
Operating system:   Windows XP/2003

The PostgreSQL service is not starting anymore. When I manually start it, it said something like it started but ended
immediatelybecause it had no work to do. I encountered this error before but a simple re-installation fixed it. This
time,it didn't.

I've tried running the service using a backup data folder w/c was 2 days ago, it runs. When I switch back to the
current,I get the error above. So, I figured the current data must be corrupt. After examination of the data folder,
theglobal folder is now not a folder but a file that is 8KB in size (I found this out by trying out the reset_xlog
commandand it said it could no longer find the global/xxx file).  It could be the hard disk has a problem. I'm going to
replaceit soon.

I searched the documentation about what the global folder contains and found out that these contain cluster-wide tables
likethe list of databases, etc.

I wanted not to lose the latest transactions by restoring a backup. Now the question is this, is it ok to just copy the
globalfolder from my backup 2 days ago, and replace the one in my current data folder? I'm very very sure no DDL
statementswere executed or no new databases/other objects were created since my last backup. Only DML statements were
executedon the user's databases. Will I lose data if I do this?

Sent via the WebMail system at primesoft.ph