Small DB Server Advice

От Rory Campbell-Lange
Тема Small DB Server Advice
Дата
Re: Small DB Server Advice
Список pgsql-performance
We have a web application for which we intend to run the database on a
dedicated server.

We hope by the end of 2008 to have 10 companies accessing 10 instances
of the database for this application. The dump file of each database is
likely to be less than 100MB at the end of the year. The databases are
read-heavy.

I'm thinking of something along the following lines:

(https://secure.dnuk.com/systems/r325hs-1u.php?configuration=7766)

    4 x 147GB 15000 rpm SCSI in RAID 10 with 320-1 RAID CARD + 64MB cache BBU
    2x Intel Xeon E5405 / 4x 2.00GHz / 1333MHz FSB / 12MB cache
    6GB RAM

    Cost around 2320 GBP -- it would be great to get it under 2000
    Needs to be in the UK.

I would be grateful for any comments. I'm particularly out of date about
the best processors to go for. DNUK also have Opteron as an option.

Rory