Re: Working with huge amount of data. RESULTS!

От hubert depesz lubaczewski
Тема Re: Working with huge amount of data. RESULTS!
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 03:45:51PM +0100, Mario Lopez wrote:
> the reversed index which takes like 20 minutes, I guess it has to do
> with the plperl function, perhaps a C function for inverting would make
> it up in less time.

sure. take a look at this:
http://www.depesz.com/index.php/2007/09/05/indexable-field-like-something-update/

> The problem is still with the LIKE '%keyword%', my problem is that I am
> not searching for Words in a dictionary fashion, suppose my "data" is
> random garbage, that it has common consecutive bytes. How could I
> generate a dictionary from this random garbage to make it easier for
> indexing?

if you are talking abount really general "random bytes", and really
general "random substrings" - you're basically out of luck.

but
think about acceptable limitations.
can you limit min-length of searched substring?
check pg_trgm in contrib.

as for generating dictionary - show me the data and perhaps i can think
of something.

depesz

--
quicksil1er: "postgres is excellent, but like any DB it requires a
highly paid DBA.  here's my CV!" :)