Re: [GENERAL] SHA1 on postgres 8.3

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: [GENERAL] SHA1 on postgres 8.3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 05:24:11PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> It sure would be nice to have this in core. Yeah, there's pgcrypto,
> but it's a bit overkill for people who simply want to do a SHA1,
> especially when they see we already have a md5().

md5() was added with the following commit message:

http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/backend/utils/adt/varlena.c#rev1.94

> In summary: what would objections be to my writing a sha1() patch?

There wasn't any discussion about it last time. It does seem a bit
wierd to support one but not the other. It's also interesting to note
that the implementation in the backed is commented with:

> I  do  not expect this file to be used for general purpose MD5'ing of
> large amounts of data, only for generating hashed passwords from
> limited input.

Have a nice day,
> Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
>  -- John F Kennedy

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] SHA1 on postgres 8.3
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] SHA1 on postgres 8.3