Re: ATTN: Clodaldo was Performance problem. Could it be related to 8.3-beta4?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: ATTN: Clodaldo was Performance problem. Could it be related to 8.3-beta4?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane escribió:

> In the long run, for queries inserting many rows it might be interesting
> to accumulate all the entries intended for a btree index and sort them
> before inserting.  Not sure about possible downsides of that.

Yeah, in the long run we need a more flexible approach towards index
insertion.  I doubt we want to know _all_ the entries beforehand; that
would probably involve disk-spilling, etc.  Perhaps accumulate a
reasonable number (using up to work_mem?) and insert those in batches.