Re: WAL logging of hash indexes

От Kenneth Marshall
Тема Re: WAL logging of hash indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 07:18:17PM -0800, John Smith wrote:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-10/msg01468.php,
>
> "... I very much want to encourage authors of new Resource Managers and it
> looks like we may be getting at least 3 new RMs that produce WAL
> records: hash indexes (currently not WAL-logged), bitmap indexes and
> clustered indexes for 8.4. We should be realistic that new bugs probably
> will occur in recovery code for existing and new RMs."
>

> Can someone clarify if WAL-logging of hash indexes will be supported
> in the 8.4 release?
>
> - John

John,

You can check the mailing list archives to follow recent discussions
about addressing the performance problems of hash indexes in PostgreSQL.
I think that we have some good ideas that may pan out. If the performance
problems can be fixed, it is my goal to have support for WAL logged,
unique hash indexes ready for 8.4. But as the thread describes, we need
the performance first or doing the rest makes no sense if btree indexes
work better.

Cheers,
Ken