Re: ATTN: Clodaldo was Performance problem. Could it be related to 8.3-beta4?

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: ATTN: Clodaldo was Performance problem. Could it be related to 8.3-beta4?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 00:29:16 -0500
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> > If we are sure that this issue is apparent actual row insertion it
> > should be easy to duplicate.
>
> I think you missed my point entirely: I believe it's specific to

Wouldn't be the first time.

> Clodoaldo's installation.  Certainly I didn't have any luck
> reproducing a huge 8.2-to-8.3 slowdown here.

Well I would agree that all the testing that I have done doesn't show
8.3 being slower. I do see this though in the very first post:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-01/msg00143.php

Production: Fedora Core 6, postgresql 8.2.5, AMD XP2600, 2 GB mem, two
7200 ide disks with pg_xlog alone in the second disk.
New: Fedora 8, postgresql 8.3-beta4, Core Duo 2.33 MHz, 4 GB mem, two
7200 sata disks in Raid 1.

On the old machine pg_xlog is on its own disk but on the new machine he
is getting random churn on the I/O because he only has the RAID 1 for
DATA and pg_xlog.

He tested 8.3 on the old box and had similar results. Although, I wonder
if he tested 8.3b4 on the old box in the exact disk layout (with xlog
on a separate disk).

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-01/msg00214.php

He only says he built and copied the postgreql.conf.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>             regards, tom lane

- --
The PostgreSQL Company: Since 1997, http://www.commandprompt.com/
SELECT 'Training', 'Consulting' FROM vendor WHERE name = 'CMD'