Re: Best way to index IP data?

От Michael Stone
Тема Re: Best way to index IP data?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 03:19:35PM -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
>Besides, there are many cases where you want to track both ipv4 and
>ipv6 for the same purpose and requiring two different fields would be
>less than ideal.

And, there are many cases where you don't. I've got two kinds of db's
that have IPs in them. In some, the IP is a small part of a table which
is focused on something else. For those I use inet, which provides a
nice bit of future-proofing. In other db's the IPs are the primary
focus. There are lots and lots of IPs, and the space used by IPs may be
the largest chunk of a particular table. For those tables, I don't use
inet because the overhead really is a significant fraction of the space.

Mike Stone

Сообщение: Re: Best way to index IP data?
Сообщение: Re: Best way to index IP data?