Re: Storing and querying boolean fields

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: Storing and querying boolean fields
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wednesday 09 January 2008 20:09, Greg Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Richard Brown wrote:
> > - We are using PostgreSQL 7.3.4, and am locked into this version. I would
> > upgrade if I could, but the decision is not mine.
>
> Just make sure you CYA so when said server eats itself the decision maker
> can't point the finger at you.  Give them a copy of a dated written
> statement from you with text like "PostgreSQL 7.3.4 has several major bugs
> that are known to cause data corruption" and quote some of the choicer
> items in the trail of release notes at
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/release.html Some juicy ones are
> in 7.3.7, 7.3.12, 7.3.19.
>
> The bonus to this approach, where you disclaim the whole platform as known
> to be unreliable, is that if you ever make a huge mistake you can shrug
> off the blame by saying the old database that you told them was buggy, but
> weren't allowed to upgrade, ate the data and it was totally not your
> fault.

It would probably also be nice to reference the last security announcement
(http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.905) which includes this relevant
message:

"Minor release 7.3.21 for PostgreSQL version 7.3 will be the last update to
the 7.3 branch. As version 7.3 is now over five years old, the community will
no longer release patches for it after today's release. Users of version 7.3
are encouraged to upgrade to a more current version as soon as possible, or
to seek support from a commercial support vendor who is willing to continue
backpatching for them."

--
Robert Treat