Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

От Darcy Buskermolen
Тема Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Monday 07 January 2008 15:23:46 you wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2008 5:15 PM, Darcy Buskermolen <darcyb@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 07 January 2008 15:03:52 Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:

> > > Cool. How do you sync the power supplies?
> >
> > To be fair the PS that is mounted in the case it had a problem, so the
> > loose one was there to get things up and running quickly.  Actually the
> > entire system is just temporary, it's destined to be moved into a rack
> > mount enclosure once the new botherboard arrives.
>
> hehe.  no bother.

I thought it should be at least documented that this is not how we view the
importance of this work as simply bailing twine and ducttape.. Though both
are perfectaly acceptable solutions for a lot of things :-)

> Did you know that the first year Babylon 5 was on the air their render
> farm consisted of 8 Amiga-2000s with 68040-50MHz CPU cards with the
> covers removed and 14" fans strapped to the top of the open cases to
> keep them cool.  They ran 24 hours a day for months on end like that.
> Ugly, but it worked.

Not much different than how google's search farm was built out either.

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Command Prompt, Inc.