Re: basic questions: Postgres with yum on CentOS 5.1

От Tomasz Ostrowski
Тема Re: basic questions: Postgres with yum on CentOS 5.1
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, 06 Jan 2008, Chuck wrote:

> Sort order, and specifically setting LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE was less of a
> concern. (I still need to read and learn more.)

It should be, as it is not only sort order. Try for example this:

select upper('ąŧäɣ');
  - these are
    polish a_ogonek, t stroke, german a umlaut and greek gamma

For example in en_US.UTF-8 locale:
 upper
-------
 ĄŦÄƔ

But in C locale:
 upper
-------
 ąŧäɣ

This will also affect for example case independent pattern matching.

> By the way, do you think that specifying '--locale=en_US.UTF-8' for
> initdb id equivalent to having LANG="en_US.UTF-8" set in the
> "/etc/sysconfig/i18n" file (and rebooting)?

For PostgreSQL yes. But I'd recommend UTF-8 for the whole system.

> If I have multiple languages and must pick one locale for Postgres,
> is no locale with (with UTF-8 encoding) acceptable?

I think it is. If this upper/lower problem is not a concern to you.
But I think it is strange and I don't think it will buy you any real
performance improvements.

Regards
Tometzky
--
...although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a
moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you