Re: Index Page Split logging

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: Index Page Split logging
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 01:17:03PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> That's right; shame I forgot this before I started the thread...

Actually, I think your idea has merit, it's just not as easy as
originally thought. All splits, including multiple-level splits, can be
described as a sequence of "split page X with items {S} going to the
left" followed by an "insert item into page X". The trick is that for
multi-level splits you have to split from the top down. Then each split
becomes a simple loggable operation.

But, I think in the live system we split from the bottom up (the split
and insert is a single operation), so I don't think you can actually
combine the current split algorithm with the logging operation I
suggest above.

Have a nice day,