Re: Release Note Changes

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Release Note Changes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Simon Riggs wrote:
> >
> > - Heap-Only Tuples (HOT) accelerate space reuse for UPDATEs
> > change to
> > "Heap-Only Tuples (HOT) improve performance of frequent UPDATEs"
> >

> I think we need to qualify this, or it could be quite misleading.
> perhaps add "that don't affect indexed columns" or something like that.

This is covered in the detailed text below the item:
     <para>      Heap-Only Tuples (<acronym>HOT</>) accelerate space reuse for      <command>UPDATE</>s (Pavan
Deolasee,with ideas from many others)     </para>

     <para>      <command>UPDATE</>s and <command>DELETE</>s leave dead tuples      behind, as do failed
<command>INSERT</>s. Previously only      <command>VACUUM</> could reclaim space taken by dead tuples. With
<acronym>HOT</>dead tuple space can be reclaimed at the time of      <command>UPDATE</> or <command>INSERT</> if no
changesare made to      indexed columns.  This allows for more consistent performance.      Also, <acronym>HOT</>
avoidsadding duplicate index entries.

I just updated the wording so the index issue is clearer.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com