Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash

От Leif B. Kristensen
Тема Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Monday 12. November 2007, Josh Berkus wrote:
>I'm thinking that we need to warn everyone about:
>1) They need to use 8.3's pg_dump, not the old version, to upgrade

Isn't there a chicken-and-egg problem here? On my Gentoo system, I have
always been forced to uninstall the old version before upgrading to a
new version. In practice, that means that I have to do a full dump of
the databases with the current pg_dump, delete or rename the data
directory, and then restore after the upgrade.

I'd like to see a detailed howto on this ...
http://solumslekt.org/ | Cruising with Gentoo/KDE
My Jazz Jukebox: http://www.last.fm/user/leifbk/