Re: Fix for stop words in thesaurus file

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Fix for stop words in thesaurus file
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
Simon Riggs wrote:
> > I have developed the attached patch which uses "?" to mark stop words in
> > the thesaurus file.  ("*" was already in use in the file.)  I updated
> > the docs to use "?", which makes the documentation clearer too.
> >
> > The patch also reenables testing of stop words in the thesuarus file.
> >
> > FYI, there is no longer a NOTICE for stop words in the thesaurus file;
> > it throws an error now, and says to use "?" instead.
>
> So this fix requires people to have a different dictionary file from 8.2
> to 8.3, and to manually edit the file? That makes upgrade even harder
> and more error prone.
>
> Seems easier to do it the way Tom suggested and only emit notices in the
> first case.

There is no easy way to do that so I have not heard that proposed as an
actual solution.

> I notice there's still a placeholder in the docs for how to upgrade.
> Perhaps if we wrote that now it would make it clearer where the
> difficulties lie?

Yes, this would be one of the many changes in the API.  Of course, if
you did use a stop word you would now get an error and it would tell you
explicitly to use "?" for stop words, so I don't see a problem here.