Re: Proposal: real procedures again (8.4)

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Proposal: real procedures again (8.4)
Дата
Re: Proposal: real procedures again (8.4)  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 07:32:11PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Gregory Stark wrote:
> > "Hannu Krosing" <hannu@skype.net> writes:
> >
> > > What I was referring to, was a "code cleanup" of libpq several
> > > years ago, when someone (maybe Bruce IIRC) removed ability to
> > > accept multiple recordsets from backend altogether, on the basis
> > > that it is not used anyway.
> >
> > You can still receive multiple record sets just fine using libpq.
> > psql doesn't handle them but they're there. When I was doing the
> > concurrent psql patch I also had it handling multiple record sets.
> >
> > Something else you may be thinking of, I don't think it's legal to
> > do queries like "select 1 ; select 2" in the new protocol. That
> > was legal in the old protocol.
>
> I think the cool thing that Josh Berkus wants is
>
> return query select a, b, c from foo;
> return query select d, e, f from bar;
>
> in a plpgsql function, and getting two result sets (I'm fuzzy about the
> exact syntax but you get the idea).  Can this be done at all?

Based on the example in TFM for PL/PgSQL:

BEGIN;
CREATE TABLE foo(foo_id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY, foo_text TEXT);
CREATE TABLE bar(bar_id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY, bar_text TEXT);
INSERT INTO foo(foo_text) VALUES ('a'),('b'),('c'),('d');
INSERT INTO bar(bar_text) VALUES ('e'),('f'),('g'),('h');
CREATE FUNCTION wtf(refcursor, refcursor)
RETURNS SETOF refcursor
LANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $$
BEGIN   OPEN $1 FOR SELECT * FROM foo;   RETURN NEXT $1;   OPEN $2 FOR SELECT * FROM bar;   RETURN NEXT $2;
END;
$$;
SELECT * FROM wtf('a','b');
FETCH all FROM a;