Re: Opportunity for a Radical Changes in Database Software

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: Opportunity for a Radical Changes in Database Software
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 08:05:24AM -0700, Dan wrote:
> In looking at current developments in computers, it seems we're nearing
> a point where a fundamental change may be possible in databases...
> Namely in-memory databases which could lead to huge performance
> improvements.

I think there are a number of challenges in this area. Higher end
machines are tending towards a NUMA architecture, where postgresql's
single buffer pool becomes a liability. In some situations you might
want a smaller per processor pool and an explicit copy to grab buffers
from processes on other CPUs.

I think relibility becomes the real issue though, you can always
produce the wrong answer instantly, the trick is to get the right
one...

Have a nice day,