Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 09:39:39AM +0100, Gregory Stark wrote:

> "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>
> > I'd rather encourage people to work in an incremental,
> > not-so-big-bang fashion.  Obviously one of the requirements for
> > that will be quicker review turnaround and commit, so that there's
> > time to build on a previous patch...
>
> I'll second that. It's awfully hard to work in isolation building a
> larger and larger patch for months without being sure that you're
> even on the right track...

It would be much easier with a distributed SCM system because that way
the process of checking patch integration would be branching and
merging, these being cheap and simple operations in DSCMs like git,
where it's pretty nearly impossibly hard with CVS.

You can start using git right away :)

http://repo.or.cz/w/PostgreSQL.git

> Note that quicker turnaround time doesn't have to mean actually
> doing reviews faster. It just means not waiting until the patch is
> in release-ready state.  It's latency that's hurting us, not
> bandwidth...

A DSCM can do a *lot* to get this latency down :)

Cheers,
David (not advocating any particular DSCM at the moment, just the
process of using one)

Remember to vote!