Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review
Дата
Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:01:34 +0100
Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> "Magnus Hagander" <magnus@hagander.net> writes:

> I just don't see the point in putting it in pgfoundry. It's already in
> pgfoundry as part of Skytools.
>  The whole point of having such a
> datatype is to build common interface to abstract away the internals
> of the database. That makes the pgfoundry modules (Skytools and
> Slony) easier to maintain separately.

I missed the part that it is part of Skytools already but as counter
point, what makes sense at that point is for Skytools to remove it and
make it it's own module. That way Slony (which is not a pgfoundry
project) or anyone else that wants to make use of it can.

> Putting it in core or contrib means that when we change the snapshot
> mechanics in 8.4 the same developer will be able to fix the module at
> the same time (and find out if his changes break it at the same
> time).

Which is very cool, for *8.4* :)

Joshua D. Drake

PostgreSQL solutions since 1997  http://www.commandprompt.com/        UNIQUE NOT NULL

Сообщение: Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review
Сообщение: Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review