Re: Timezone database changes

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Timezone database changes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Am Dienstag, 9. Oktober 2007 schrieb Magne Mæhre:
> SQL itself doesn't say anything how the data element should be stored,
> only how it should be operated upon.  It do, however,say that a
> datetime/time WITH TIME ZONE represents the time in UTC (SQL 2003,
> §4.3).  All operations on the element are defined as if it's an instance
> in time (in UTC).

There is, generally, a significant mismatch between the time zone handling
specified in SQL and practical requirements.  More specifically, SQL only
supports time zones with fixed offsets and does not support daylight-saving
time rules at all.

Independent of what any specification might say, however, the currently
implemented behavior is clearly wrong in my mind and needs to be fixed.

--
Peter Eisentraut