Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Added the Skytools extended transaction ID module to contrib as

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Added the Skytools extended transaction ID module to contrib as
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 17:38:48 -0400
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On Monday 08 October 2007 16:29, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > The whole contrib thing confuses a lot of users. Is it included, or
> > isn't it?  IMHO, that distinction need to be clear, and I thought we
> > were working (if not actively then at least passively) to "retire"
> > contrib, moving things either to core or to pgFoundry. Adding yet
> > another important feature that's "just in contrib" is making things
> > worse, not better.
> > IMHO, of course ;-)
> >

> +1.  I felt the same way about pg_standby, which would have been far
> more accessible for 8.2 users had it lived on pg_foundry.

Well pg_standby is certainly an excellent example :). We have had this
similar discussion before, this exact discussion is one of the reasons
Tsearch2 got pushed into core.

Contrib is just a dead zone for the user populous. Most people consider
it unsupported *stuff* with no particular purpose (regardless of the
real meaning).

If you look at contrib in other projects they are always user
contributed modules that are cool, but your mileage may vary.

Personally, I would like to see contrib completely removed.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

PostgreSQL solutions since 1997  http://www.commandprompt.com/        UNIQUE NOT NULL

Сообщение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Added the Skytools extended transaction ID module to contrib as
Сообщение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Added the Skytools extended transaction ID module to contrib as