Build problems on Ubuntu Feisty and possibly on other Linux systems

От Ferenczi Viktor
Тема Build problems on Ubuntu Feisty and possibly on other Linux systems
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Hi,

I recently solved a build problem that prevented me from compiling PgAdmin III
1.8.0beta5. Please let you know the details to prevent further problems.
Details:

OS: Ubuntu Feisty, up-to-date (I write here, since PgAdmin cannot be found in
Ubuntu's bug reporting system, and 1.8beta5 is beta software.)

wxWidgets installed: 2.6 by default, and 2.8 from the universe or multiverse
repository. Development files (headers) are also installed for both.

The configure script ran successfully and detected wxWidgets 2.8 correctly,
but chose the base (non-GUI) version, not the GTK one. The script set
wxUSE_GUI to 0 in all Makefiles, that caused houndreds of "not declared"
errors at compile time, when wxWindows or such GUI classes are referenced. I
had to trace back this issue to wx.h, where the #if directive turned off all
GUI includes.

As a quick fix I replaced all instances of "${WX_HOME}/bin/wx-config"
by "/usr/lib/wx/config/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8" (without the double quotes)
in the configure script. This is only a quick fix, not a real solution.

Since PgAdmin III is a GUI only application, it would be useful to force the
wxUSE_GUI flag to be 1, or somehow selecting the correct GUI (not base) wx
version on systems such as Debian Etch and Ubuntu Feisty with
an /etc/alternatives system in place. I know, that this should be the distro
maintainers' problem, but currently compiling from source is the only
solution on such systems and this does not work out of the box.

Please publish this information in PgAdmin III 1.8's FAQ or the installation
instructions to prevent further problems to others.

Thank you, Viktor

Сообщение: Re: windows vista pgadmin III problem
Сообщение: Re: windows vista pgadmin III problem