Re: Planning a Postgresql based Database

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Planning a Postgresql based Database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 09:57:30AM +0530, Gokulakannan Somsundaram wrote:
> Hi,
>     Can anyone please advise on the steps that can be followed to start a
> Postgresql based database firm? I expect guidelines on the use of Postgresql
> resources and on ways to maintain relationship with the Postgresql
> community.

(1) Have something you want to do.

(2) Have (1) be data-using.

(3) Design your database.

(4) Ask the community your questions.

(5) Answer the questions of others in the community.

(6) Ideally, hire people to work on PostgreSQL and contribute their
stuff back to the community.  And who listen.

I am not suggesting, BTW, that 1-6 are sequential steps.  But that's
about all there is to it.  The point of the BSD license is that you
get to do what you want, as long as you don't sue us.  People welcome
new contributors -- but only those who listen to the rest of the
community; or, if they're convinced the community is wrong, who prove
what they claim in working code before talking about how nobody here
knows what they're doing.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.
        --Roger Brinner